Dessert or sweet snack
Country or culture of origin: England
Number of serves: 6
Special diets: Vegetarian
Difficulty: Intermediate cooks
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
From the family of Matilda and Molly S.
2-3 Granny Smith apples
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup desiccated coconut
90g butter, chilled
Optional: Cream, ice cream or custard for serving
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Peel and chop apples into 1cm pieces.
3. Place the chopped apple in a dish that is both microwave-proof and oven-proof (e.g. Pyrex).
4. Add a splash of water to the apple, cover and microwave on HIGH for 3-4 minutes.
5. To a large bowl add the plain flour, rolled oats, brown sugar and coconut, and mix together with a large spoon.
6. Grate the butter and add a little at a time to the dry ingredients to stop the butter clumping together.
7. Using the fingertips of both hands, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until it is all well mixed and crumbly.
8. CAUTION: The apples will be HOT! Drain the water from the dish of apples.
9. Sprinkle a little cinnamon over the hot apple and then cover the apple evenly with the crumble mixture.
10. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes, until the crumble is golden brown.
11. Leave the hot crumble to sit for 5 minutes.
Serving suggestion: Serve warm with cream, ice cream or custard.