“A favourite for a fussy eater.”
Country or culture of origin:
Number of serves: 16 small sausage rolls
Special diets: Nut free, Fish and shellfish free
Difficulty: Beginner cooks
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
2 puff pastry sheets
250g chicken mince
egg, lightly beaten
salt and pepper
Optional: 1 Tbsp Thai red curry paste
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line baking trays with baking paper.
2. Remove 2 pastry sheets from the freezer and leave out to thaw while making the filling.
3. To a bowl, add the chicken mince, half the beaten egg, a sprinkle of breadcrumbs, and season with salt and pepper*.
4. Mix well with a spoon and add more breadcrumbs if the mixture is too wet.
5. Use a sharp knife to cut each pastry in half to make 4 rectangles.
6. Take one quarter of the chicken mixture from the bowl and form it into a long sausage along the middle of one of the pastry rectangles.
7. Fold one long side of the pastry over the chicken mixture and use a pastry brush (or finger tips) to coat the edge of the pastry with beaten egg.
8. Fold over the other long side of the pastry and push down gently on the beaten egg.
9. Use a sharp knife to cut the roll of pastry and chicken mixture into 4 sausage rolls.
10. Repeat with the other three pieces of pastry.
11. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
*Optional: For a spicier version, mix red curry paste into the chicken mixture.
Serving suggestion: Serve with salad or vegetables.
Recipe authors: The family of Matilda and Molly S.