Special diets: Nut free, Fish and shellfish free
Difficulty: Experienced cooks
Preparation time: Stock: 10 minutes, plus 30-60 minutes standing time; Soup: 10 minutes
Cooking time: Stock: 8-24 hours; Soup: 15 minutes
From the family of Lior D.
1 whole free-range chicken
3.75 L filtered water
2 Tbsp vinegar
1 dessertspoon pink salt
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
3 celery sticks, coarsely chopped
2 carrots, coarsely chopped
1 bunch parsley
leftover chicken meat
1. Cut the chicken into several pieces.
2. Place the chicken pieces in a large pot with water, vinegar, salt and all the vegetables. Allow to stand for 30 minutes to 1 hour (to allow the chicken to attain room temperature).
3. Bring to the boil and remove the scum that rises to the surface. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
4. Remove the vegetables and chicken carcass.
5. Allow the chicken to cool and remove the meat from the carcass (refrigerate and use in other meals, e.g., curries, sandwiches, salads). Discard the vegetables.
6. Return the chicken bones to the broth and continue to simmer for 6 to 24 hours – the longer you cook the broth, the richer and more flavoursome it will become.
HINT: Make sure you are at home while the broth is simmering. If you need to go out, turn the stovetop off and begin simmering again when you return home. Store your stock in sterilised, sealed mason jars in the fridge.
1. Heat stock in a pot with parsley and your favourite vegetables, plus chicken meat.
2. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.