“This recipe has been handed down through several generations and tastes amazing.”
Dessert or sweet snack
Country or culture of origin: Australia
Number of serves:
Special diets: Nut free
Difficulty: Beginner cooks
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
2 cups chopped dates
4 Tbsp butter
2 tsp bicarb soda
2 cups boiling water
1 1/2 cups white sugar
4 cups self-raising flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped glace cherries
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Grease two loaf tins with butter and line with baking paper.
3. To a large bowl, add the chopped dates, butter, bicarb soda and boiling water, and stir until the butter is melted.
4. Add sugar and stir to combine.
5. Sift the flour with the salt. Add to the bowl and stir to combine.
6. Beat the eggs. Add to the bowl and stir to combine.
7. Add cherries and vanilla essence to bowl. Mix thoroughly.
8. Pour evenly into the prepared loaf tins.
9. Bake for 45 minutes and test with a skewer.
10. Turn onto a cake rack to cool.
Serving suggestion: Makes two loaves. Serve with butter.
Recipe authors: The family of Elliot B.