“A dessert for the family, or delicious enough to serve to guests. The result is a lovely hot lemon sponge with sauce.”
Dessert or sweet snack
Country or culture of origin:
Number of serves: 6
Special diets: Vegetarian
Difficulty: Intermediate cooks
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp butter, softened to room temperature
2 Tbsp self-raising flour
juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
2 eggs, separated
1 cup milk
Optional: cream or ice cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter.
3. Add the self-raising flour, lemon juice and rind, egg yolks and milk. Mix to combine.
4. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff and fold gently into the mixture.
5. Spoon the batter into a deep oven-proof dish and place the dish in a baking dish of boiling water.
6. Bake in the oven until brown.
Serving suggestion: Serve hot as it is, or with your choice of cream or ice cream.
Recipe authors: The family of Mara and Reuben W.