“An easy mid-week meal.”
Country or culture of origin:
Number of serves: 2
Special diets: Vegetarian
Difficulty: Intermediate cooks
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 brown onion, finely chopped
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp garam marsala
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 cup basmati rice (white or brown)
2 cups hot liquid vegetable stock (e.g., Massel stock cube mixed with 2 cups boiling water)
1/2 cup salted cashew nuts
1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
1/2 cup plain yoghurt
Optional: Grilled meat such as chicken, lamb or beef
1. Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan and slowly fry the onion until clear.
2. Add the spices and stir over low heat until fragrant.
3. Stir in the rice to coat with the oil and spices.
4. Add the hot vegetable stock and bring to the boil.
5. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is cooked and the liquid has been absorbed.
6. Stir in the cashews and coriander.
7. Place the yoghurt in a bowl for serving.
Serving suggestion: Topped with grilled meat. Leftovers are nice reheated with tinned corn and frozen peas.
Recipe authors: The family of Matilda and Molly S.