Dessert or sweet snack
Number of serves: 24
Difficulty: Beginner cooks
Preparation time: 15 minutes plus 30 minutes refrigeration time
Cooking time: 15 minutes
From the family of Rory and Theo B.
85g unsalted butter
1/2 cup caster sugar, or sugar substitute
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour (wholemeal if preferred)
1/4 cup ground flaxseed (replace with flour if preferred)
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1. Use an electric mixer to cream the butter and sugars in a large bowl.
2. Beat in the egg and vanilla essence.
3. Stir in the flour and flaxseed.
4. Add the chocolate chips (you can use other things instead– such as a block of chocolate, all chopped up!)
5. Roll the mixture into a long, thick sausage shape and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 190°C and prepare a tray by lining with baking paper.
7. Roll tablespoons of the cookie mixture into balls. Place on the tray with at least 5cm between the balls. Do not flatten yet.
8. Bake for 7 minutes.
9. Remove from the oven and use the back of a fork or spoon to gently press each cookie down to a flatter shape. They will crackle a bit on top and this makes yummy edges on the finished cookies.
10. Return to the oven for another 7 minutes, or up to 10 minutes if you prefer a crunchy cookie.
11. Cool on a wire rack.
Serving suggestion: Delicious with a glass of milk or a cup of tea.