“A healthy and tasty way to use overripe bananas.”
Country or culture of origin:
Number of serves: 12 small muffins
Special diets: Vegetarian
Difficulty: Intermediate cooks
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla essence
100mL vegetable oil
2 ripe bananas
splash of milk
1. Preheat oven to 200°C and prepare a 12 well cupcake or muffin tray. Disposable or silicone cupcake cases work well, or lightly grease the tray with vegetable oil to prevent sticking.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour and brown sugar, and make a well in the centre.
3. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla and vegetable oil.
4. Mash the bananas.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. If the mixture is too dry, add a splash of milk (the amount will depend on the ripeness of the bananas).
6. Fill the prepared tray with batter, using about 1/4 cup of batter in each well.
7. Bake for 15–20 minutes until golden brown.
8. Rest in the tray for 5 minutes before cooling on a wire rack.
Serving suggestion: Serve warm with butter or margarine.
Recipe authors: The family of Molly and Matilda S.